Monday, March 05, 2007

Project Africa


We at Chapter Twentynine have recently become acquainted with an incredible ministry called Project Africa. Justin and Debbie Yoder are a young couple that have dedicated their time to the people of South Africa. They bring teams of young people on short term mission’s trips.

I wanted to share this blog entry from Justin that will not only move your heart, but give you a glimpse of the heart of this ministry and I believe the heart of God:


It was July 2003 and we were in the middle of 5 day youth rally and crusade in Drikesdorp, South Africa. The cool breeze was refreshing as it blew across my face. To the south I could see a large mountain that seemed to be a focal point in the area and mud huts dotted the dry plains. The Shimba religion was prevalent in the area and you could feel the darkness that had set in on the people. We had just got done ministering to the youth and we were resting until the evening crusade with the whole community. As I laid on our stage, which was nothing more that a trailer that converted in to a stage with sound and lighting ran of a generator, a small child caught my attention. I rolled over onto my side and looked closer. He was sitting on the front row by himself as some of his friends played nearby with other team members. "Nah, I am having a dream. This can be real," I thought to myself as I sat up watching more carefully. The 4 year old boy was holding a plastic bag just like you would store leftovers in. As I sat there I watched him stick his small frail figure into the plastic, stretching it out until a piece tore off and then hesitate before placing it in his mouth. I watched again as he repeated the process, chewed and swallowed with a painful look on his face.

Without thinking twice I jumped off the stage and grabbed the little boy in my arms and called for our translator to come with me. I took him to our bus and held him in my arms as I feed him a sandwich and gave him a cup of water. As he ate tears weld up in my eyes and started running down my checks. They say real men don't cry, but I say if they have a heart they do. After getting his fill he jumped off my lap and joined his friends playing. I sat there stunned for a moment before getting up and walking into the abandoned little church. I sat down on the edge of an old dusty bench and started processing what just happened. As I did the tears flowed more. While I had seen the hunger of African children before it had not impacted me as much as this encounter did. Where was this little boy going to get his next meal? His next plastic bag? If you don't eat you die and if you eat plastic bags you die. This child was on his death bed.

But there is hope. While we can't save every child from starvation or sickness we want to give it our best shot with what we have. That is love and that is what makes our heart beat. As Project Africa we want to reach out to the starving, the hurting and the dying with the love of Jesus Christ. And when a young person goes with us to Africa and has an experience like this their life will be radically changed. All it takes to change a life is a touch from the Master.



Answering the Call,

Justin Yoder

No comments: